Buying and Installing a Bunk Bed
Bunk beds can be safe, space saving sleeping areas, like rollaway bed does, as long as you do these things:
*Select a bunk bed that meets all current safety standards.
*Purchase your bunk bed from a well known and reputable dealer.
*Make sure that you follow the instructions carefully and assemble the bed correctly.
*Always be sure that your children follow safety rules regarding the bunk beds.
What to look for in a good bunk bed for kids:
We have created an outline of things to check on when purchasing a bunk bed for your child’s room. For more information you can check out the CPSC website for a complete list of bunk bed requirements.
1. Always purchase from a reputable dealer.
2. Get information regarding weight and size limits before you choose a bunk bed.
3. Make sure that your bunk bed has a minimum of 5″ from the top of the mattress to the guardrail.
4. Look for a safety sticker instructing on the safe usage of the bunk beds.
5. Purchase a bed made from good quality wood, not pressed plywood or cheaper products. The bed should have rounded or smooth edges with no sharp points.
6. Get a bed with a good quality ladder that is big enough for your children to climb safely.
7. Make sure the bunk bed comes with side or guard rails the full length on one side and close to 3/4 of the length on the other side.
8. Guard rails should be attached and not easily removed by children.
9. Most importantly; always teach your children the safety rules of bunk beds. Make sure they know how to be safe and keep them supervised whenever they are playing on or around the bunk beds.